The piggy-back departure of the Space Shuttle Discovery on a modified Boeing 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft, is scheduled for 7:00 a.m.
Though the exact route and timing of the flight depend on weather and operational constraints, the SCA is expected to fly at approximately 1,500 feet near a variety of national landmarks in the Washington area, including the National Mall, Reagan National Airport, National Harbor and the Smithsonian’s Udvar-Hazy Center.
If you take pictures, feel free to post them on the Space Shuttle Discovery Flickr Group and if you’re on Twitter, you can tweet them using the hashtag #spottheshuttle.
District of Columbia
- The National Mall, including Memorial Bridge, the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument and the east end
- Hains Point/East Potomac Park, south of the Jefferson Memorial and the 14th Street Bridge
- Southwest Waterfront Park
- Long Bridge Park, 475 Long Bridge Drive, Arlington
- Old Town Alexandria Waterfront
- Gravelly Point, just off the George Washington Parkway, near National Airport
- National Harbor, just off the Woodrow Wilson Bridge in Prince George’s County