A 911 caller reported hearing a hissing sound and smelling a strong smell of gas coming from a 100-gallon propane tank supplying gas service to a mobile home. Bystanders were able to slow the leak by closing the main valve of the tank but were not able to completely stop it. Fire personnel confirmed that an active leak was still present and ordered the evacuation of five nearby mobile homes. Firefighters say 10 adults and 2 children were affected by the evacuation.
BCFR’s Special Operations Team was dispatched to the scene and monitored the area for air quality and other hazards. Hazardous materials team members donned protective clothing, entered the “hot zone” and were able to completely stop the leak. Representatives from Tru Gas were called to the scene to repair the valve assembly on the tank.
After stopping the leak, HazMat technicians again monitored air quality in the area and determined that residents could return to their homes at 9:21 a.m.