Categories: Cocoa

3 Cats Perish In Port St. John Electrical House Fire

(Cocoa, FL)- Fire investigators have determined that last night’s house fire at 1054 Barclay Drive in Port St. John was electrical in nature. The fire caused an estimated $50,000 in damages and displaced a family of four who were renting the home. Three cats did not survive.

Fire investigators believe that an overloaded outlet may have been the cause of the blaze. The fire was reported by a 17-year old female who was the only resident home at the time of the fire. She noticed flames in a bedroom of the home and called 911. The fire spread quickly through an open doorway to the remainder of the home.

Brevard County Fire Rescue encourages residents to use extension cords sparingly and only for temporary use. Major appliances, such as stoves, refrigerators, and washers/dryers, should always be plugged directly into a wall outlet. It is also important to ensure that electrical cords are not run across doorways or under carpets/rugs. Consider having a qualified electrician install additional outlets in the home if extension cords are necessary to accomodate appliances.

It is still unclear whether or not the home is insured and it does not appear that the home was equipped with working smoke alarms.

Copyright 2011-2023 Brevard Times. All Rights Reserved. Contact Us Privacy Policy