Categories: Uncategorized

Mims Mobile Home Fires Caused By Furnace

MIMS, Fla. — Brevard County fire investigators have determined that the fire that destroyed two mobile homes in Mims overnight were caused by a malfunctioning furnace used to heat one of the homes.

According to investigators, the furnace was a fixed, propane fueled furnace that was original to the mobile home in which the fire originated. The homeowner, whose home was not insured, reported having trouble lighting the pilot light on the unit earlier in the day. The male resident awoke at around 1 a.m. and found that the pilot light had gone out on the furnace again. After re-lighting the pilot light, he reportedly was watching TV when he began to notice smoke filling the home.

The resident immediately exited the structure and turned off the propane that fed the furnace. He told investigators that he attempted to extinguish the fire with a garden hose but realized quickly that the fire was growing out of control. The homeowner was able to go to a neighbors house and call 911.

At that point, they realized that the fire was spreading to an adjacent mobile home and the pair ran to the home to alert the neighbor. The neighbor was able to escape her home safely with her dog. That neighbor relates her home was insured.

Both homes had installed smoke alarms but none of them were operable due to dead batteries.

Copyright 2011-2023 Brevard Times. All Rights Reserved. Contact Us Privacy Policy