Categories: Florida

Unattended Kitchen Causes Port St. John House Fire

PORT ST. JOHN, Florida — Brevard County Fire Rescue (BCFR) crews responded this evening for a reported structure fire at 4667 Huber Street in Port St. John, Florida.  The 911 call was received at 5:54 p.m.

Firefighters arrived at 6:00 p.m. and found heavy smoke coming from the single story home.  All occupants were out of the home on arrival but two pets, a pit bull named Delilah and a cat, were reportedly still inside.

Fire crews quickly deployed hose lines into the home and extinguished the blaze.  Firefighters searched the home and located both pets who were successfully rescued from the home and reportedly in good condition.  No injuries were reported to occupants or firefighters. 

The home was occupied by three adults (a mother, daughter, and adult grandson) and the pets. The residents told investigators that they were cooking and left the kitchen area unattended while moving to other areas of the home.  Upon returning to the kitchen, they discovered a fire that originated  at the stove and was spreading quickly to other areas of the kitchen.  The family immediately called 911 for assistance and left the home.

The fire was contained to the kitchen and damages have been estimated at $10,000.  The home was insured but was not equipped with working smoke alarms.  The family will be displaced and is being assisted by the Red Cross.

According to the U.S. Fire Administration, about 3,500 Americans die each year in fires and another 18,300 are injured.  Unattended cooking fires are a leading cause of those fires. 

BCFR would like to offer the following safety tips:

  • Ensure your home is equipped with at least one working smoke alarm.  Maintain and test the alarm monthly and change the batteries at least once per year on a date that is easy to remember.
  • Keep towels, pot holders, and curtains away from flames, ovens, and stove tops.
  • Never leave food that is cooking on the stove alone. A serious fire can start in just seconds.
  • Clean cooking surfaces regularly to prevent grease buildup, which can start fires.
  • Never use the stove or oven to heat your home.
  • Double-check the kitchen before you go to bed or leave the house. Make sure all appliances are turned off.
  • Make sure you turn off the stove or oven when you are finished using it.

Copyright 2011-2023 Brevard Times. All Rights Reserved.  Contact Us   Privacy Policy